Wipf and Stock
|Founder||John Wipf and Jon Stock|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Eugene, Oregon|
|Distribution||Ingram, Baker & Taylor (US); Morning Star Publishing (Australia); Bertrams, Gardners Books (Europe); KCBS (Korea)|
|Publication types||books, academic journals|
|Nonfiction topics||theology, biblical studies, history and philosophy|
Wipf and Stock was established in 1995 following a joint venture between John Wipf of the Archives Bookshop in Pasadena, California, and Jon Stock of Windows Booksellers in Eugene, Oregon. The company publishes new works and reprints under the imprints Wipf & Stock, Cascade Books, Pickwick Publications, Resource Publications, Slant, and Front Porch Republic Books. Cascade Books is aimed at the general public, whereas Pickwick Publications caters to academics.
The publishing focus of Wipf & Stock is broad, with books in biblical studies, theology, ethics, church history, linguistics, history, classics, philosophy, preaching, and church ministry.
Wipf and Stock has consolidated the publication process so that every aspect of production, from acquisitions and editing, to typesetting, printing, and binding happen in one location. It also employs short-run production methods. According to Wipf and Stock, this allows it to accept titles based on merit rather than on projected sales.
Wipf and Stock publishes Sehnsucht, a journal on the works of C. S. Lewis first published in 2007.
In 2022, the Cascade imprint of Wipf and Stock retracted the book Bad and Boujee: Toward a Trap Feminist Theology. The book was retired following complaints raised on social media. Cascade apologised for the publication, lamenting the "inappropriateness of a White theologian writing about the experience of Black women."
- ^ "Distributors". Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- ^ "Wipf and Stock Academic Reprints in Old English Studies". Old English Newsletter – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). 1 April 2005. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- ^ Russo, Ed (15 October 2002). "Partners go for bookish change". The Register Guard.[dead link]
- ^ Bjordstad, Randi (18 March 2012). "Eugene rabbi offers a modern rendering of Moses". The Register Guard.[dead link]
- ^ "Our Story".
- ^ NIJAY GUPTA (24 August 2020). "Dr. Chris Spinks (Cascade Books/Wipf & Stock): Editors behind the Great Books in New Testament Studies". Patheos. Retrieved 29 July 2022.
Cascade Books (aimed at wider audiences) and Pickwick Publications (aimed at an academic audience)
- ^ Wipf and Stock Publishers Author Guide
- ^ "Sehnsucht: The C.S. Lewis Journal".
- ^ Alter, Alexandra; Harris, Elizabeth A. (15 April 2022). "A White Author's Book About Black Feminism Was Pulled After a Social Media Outcry". The New York Times.
- ^ "Wipf and Stock to Pull 'Bad and Boujee' from Publication, Distribution". 14 April 2022.
- ^ "Resolute Magazine -- Read".
- Official website
- Wipf and Stock editor blog